"Do now, do now, what you will wish to have done when your moment comes to die." [St. Angela Merici]

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

But…

By Micky Wolf

A true story.

Once upon a time there was a Master Gardener who had many, many acres of fields, flowers, trees, plants, and vineyards of all manner of size and description. Master Gardener also had many, many workers—those too, of all manner of size and description.

It was now several years into the New Millennium, in a new month and a new week.

On Monday, Master Gardener called out, “anyone, will you give me a hand? My young orchard is in need of watering, fertilizing and pruning.”

Anyone answered, “I would come, but I’m not sure I have the time.”

Silence.

On Tuesday, Master Gardener called out, “anyone, will you give me a hand? I have dozens of trays of young seedlings to plant.”

Anyone answered, “I would come, but the work is quite tedious and my fingers too stiff.”

Silence.

On Wednesday, Master Gardener called out, “anyone, will you give me a hand? The many heavy clusters of colorful grapes need readied for the press.”

Anyone answered, “I would come, but I’m afraid I would be too clumsy.”

Silence.

On Thursday, Master Gardener called out, “anyone, will you give me a hand? The storms have bruised and bent the tall, full stalks of corn and grain.”

Anyone answered, “I would come, but I do not have the right tools.”

Silence.

On Friday, Master Gardener called out, “anyone, will you give me a hand? I have new plans to increase production and yield.”

Anyone answered, “I would come, but your ideas seem a little outlandish to me.”

Silence.

On Saturday, Master Gardener called out, “anyone, will you give me a hand? We need to gather for the harvest.”

Anyone answered, “I would come, but not everyone is as good a worker as I.”

Silence.

On Sunday, Master Gardener called out, “anyone, will you give me a hand? There is bounty from the earth for all to share and enjoy. Come to the table.”

Anyone answered, “I would come, but too many are different and unfamiliar.”

Silence.

And then the ground shook and trembled deep within. 

Startled, I rolled over and struggled to become fully awake. A dream? Quietly, I lay there, eventually opening my eyes.

“Anyone, will you give me a hand?”

Selfishness. Pride. Fear. Comparison. Rebellion. Arrogance. Prejudice. 

The BUTS in life appear in many guises. 

Maybe the most wounding to the heart of our good and gracious God are the ways we wear them as reasoning, rationalizing and justification for our choices that are too often little more than—excuse.

But?

Will there be silence today?

No comments:

Post a Comment