"Do now, do now, what you will wish to have done when your moment comes to die." [St. Angela Merici]

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Wait, Obedience, and Delight

A Meditation on Psalm 40:1-9 [NAB]


By Micky Wolf

 
I wait, wait for the LORD;
who bends down to me and hears my cry,

How do I wait? Patiently? In frustration? Peacefully?
What is the cry of my heart in this moment?

Draws me up from the pit of destruction,
out of the muddy clay, sets my feet upon rock,
steadies my steps,

What does pit of destruction mean to me?
How do I feel when this seems to be my circumstance?
Do I allow God the freedom to set my feet? Steady my steps?

And puts a new song in my mouth,
a hymn to our God.

Am I receptive to receiving a new song?
Is there a hymn in my heart to sing?

Many shall look on in fear
and they shall trust in the LORD.

What does this kind of fear mean to me?
Am I able to look and trust in the Lord?

Blessed the man who sets
his security in the LORD,
who turns not to the arrogant
or to those who stray after falsehood.

Am I setting my security in the Lord?
Turning to the arrogant or those who stray?
Am I the arrogant? The one who has strayed?

You, yes you, O LORD, my God,
have done many wondrous deeds!

What are the wondrous deeds of the Lord?
In my life? In the lives of those I love?
 In my community or in our nation?

And in your plans for us
there is none to equal you.
Should I wish to declare or tell them,
too many are they to recount.

Do I sense the plans the Lord has for me? For us? Who is us?
Do I truly believe, in my heart, there is none to equal you?

Sacrifice and offering you do not want,
you opened my ears.

What is sacrifice and offering you do not want?
Are my ears open?

Holocaust and sin-offering you do not request;
so I said, “See; I come
with an inscribed scroll written upon me.

What do I offer that is not requested by the Lord?
What is inscribed and written upon me?

I delight to do your will, my God;
your law is in my inner being!”

What is delight? What is your will?
Who or what is my God?
How do I feel about your law? What does that mean?


No comments:

Post a Comment